Hitting the links is a great way to spend an afternoon. Golf is a fun, social sport that can bring large groups of people together for an enjoyable event, and is a great way for Brothers to better get to know one another. A golf outing is also a great way to raise money for a cause.
- Golf Course
- Invitations for Alumni
- Prizes for 1st place, 2nd place, etc.
- Advertisements (if philanthropy event)
- Bin for donations (if philanthropy event)
- Brochures about your Alpha, the event, and the causes it is supporting (if applicable)
- Items for Raffle/Silent auction (if applicable)
- Tickets for Raffle(if applicable)
- Sheets for bidding at silent auction (if applicable)
Tips to Remember: Contact a local golf course to see what group rates they have available. Most golf courses are able to host these types of events, and almost always will offer some type of discount, often with carts or meals included. You will want to contact the course as early as possible to get the best dates and prices. The tournament can be scored as a Scramble, best ball, individual, etc. Look up scoring rules online to determine which format will best fit your event. Golf outings are also a fin option as a philanthropy event. If you intend to do this, be sure to mention to the course what you are doing and what materials you may need. If it is a philanthropy event, be sure to charge participants enough that you cover your costs, and can raise some money. Having a “bin” or other means by which participants can further donate is also highly recommended. Raffles or auctions are also suggested.
- 3 monthsout-
- Contact Golf course and set date
- Mail out invitations to alumni (if applicable)
- Advertise the event on campus via Facebook, twitter, posted flyers, etc. (if applicable)
- Begin acquiring merchandise for the raffle/silent auction (if applicable)
- 1 month out- Increase advertising (if applicable) and finalize brochures (if applicable)
- 2 weeksout-
- Finalize numbers (note: the course may require you to finalize your numbers earlier than this. If that is the case, set a date far enough in advance that you can have this information when it is needed)
- Finalize items for raffle/silent auction
- Acquire/create the items needed for raffle/silent auction